Saturday, October 23, 2010

You have been promoted to...manager.


So, I'm currently reading through the book of 1 Corinthians, which is one of my very favorite books. As I do my daily readings, I will post the Scripture I read and then my thoughts on it. Hopefully, I'll actually sit down and write everyday...

1 A person should consider us in this way: as servants of Christ and managers of God's mysteries. 2 In this regard, it is expected of managers that each one be found faithful. 3 It is of little importance that I should be evaluated by you or by a human court. In fact, I don't even evaluate myself. 4 For I am not conscious of anything against myself, but I am not justified by this. The One who evaluates me is the Lord. 5 Therefore don't judge anything prematurely, before the Lord comes, who will both bring to light what is hidden in darkness and reveal the intentions of the hearts. And then praise will come to each one from God. -1 Corinthians 4:1-5(HCSB)

Ok, so I read over this in both my New International Version and my Holman version, and the Holman is actually a more direct translation from Greek, particularly the word "manager." The NIV calls us "servants entrusted with the secret things (stuff that humans couldn't find out on their own but that God will reveal to us) of God." The Greek translation actually says more along the lines of "house manager" or "steward." So, God is entrusting us to be in charge of His stuff. Does that blow your mind?

I know that when I have made something, be it a Lego fort when I was younger or a project for school now, I certainly don't want anyone to come in and mess it up. Yet, God is entrusting us to be in charge of the entire Earth. I don't know about you, but that's pretty wild.

But wait- that's not all this passage says. It goes on to say that we will be judged. God will be looking over all of our work. It's just like a manager anywhere else- corporate lets you be in charge, but you must maintain good conduct and do your job. Eventually, the CEO of the universe is going to call you into His office and look over your work, evaluating what you have done.

Will you get a good review? Did you do your job satisfactory? That's a question only you can answer.

Helped by notes from the NIV Study Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment