Wednesday, October 24, 2012

You Are A Mist

When was the last time you enjoyed the little things? I mean, really enjoyed them? When was the last time you savored that morning cup of coffee, sipping it slowly and taking in its smell? When was the last time you took a new route to work, just to see a different view? When was the last time you picked up a fall leaf, feeling the different textures in your hand? These kind of things are only around for so long. And so are you.

"For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." -James 4:14, ESV

 As fall advances in on my home in the temperate Northern Hemisphere, there are more and more mornings that are chilly. Often, when I go outside in the morning, my warmer breath creates a fog in the cool, crisp air. When I was a child, I used to pretend I was a train (or smoker, take your pick). Now, this is a reminder. Just as this fog quickly disappears into the fall air, my life will disappear from this earth. I have no idea when my last day is, or when I will die. I have no idea whether I will be remembered by anyone, and I have no idea if my life will matter to a single person. And frankly, it doesn't matter.

"Just one thing: live your life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." -Philippians 1:27, HCSB

This is the verse that I try to preach to myself as often as possible. You see, our life on this earth is short. We are but a mist. Yet, we also know that the bible says to "live [our] life in a manner worthy of the gospel." So, no matter how uncertain our future is, we march on, living in the glory of the cross of Christ, living to glorify Him.

James goes on to talk about how we should remember that the Lord is sovereign, and that our lives should reflect that (James 4:15). I think that combines well with Philippians 1:27. God is in control of our vapor-like lives, and He wants us to live worthy of the gospel. Thus, it seems logical that we should live our lives, no matter how short they may end up being, all for the glory of Christ and His gospel. After all, "every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights (James 1:17)."

There are lots of little perfect gifts in this short life we live: coffee, leaves, fishing on a cool morning, the smell of gasoline... I could go all day. Savor them. enjoy them. Take the time to take them in, because you don't know when they will be gone. But there is one huge, unbelievably massive gift that we have also received from the Father of lights, and we must keep our lives in a manner worthy of it.

1 comment:

  1. awwe you to my heart!!!I am so proud to have you as a newphew,you are so sweet and kind!!!you truly reflect the image of christ,and make me want to know him more!!!love you:)))

    ReplyDelete