Tuesday, December 24, 2013

I'm Kinda Weird About Christmas Music...

So, my last post was pretty intense. I know. There's been such a brew-ha-ha in the evangelical world this past week, and all of a sudden... Christmas is all up on us! So, instead of diving into some big theological breakdown of the incarnation of Christ, or continuing with serious discussions, I'm going to share my thoughts on Christmas music.

I'm never really sure how I feel about Christmas music, in general. I work in retail, and have heard every basic Christmas song on repeat since mid-November. So, by the time Christmas rolls around each year, I'm generally tired of the songs.

I also feel kind of awkward singing a lot of the standard Christmas carols about Jesus. It almost feels like Ricky Bobby praying to baby Jesus; He grew up! I get that the birth of Jesus is a big deal. Otherwise, we would never have had grown-up Jesus. God coming to Earth and taking the form of a baby, no less, is crazy and huge. I just feel weird singing to and about baby Jesus. Yeah, I know it's goofy. So are these thoughts about these songs:

Feliz Navidad- I have several conflicting feelings about this one. I truly enjoy the Spanish language, but I really feel like "Feliz Navidad" is a lot like Taco Bell in musical form: it tries so hard to feel authentically Hispanic that it gives away the fact that it isn't really Hispanic. Do Spanish-speakers enjoy this song as much as English-speakers?

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus- Have you ever thought how weird this song is? The entire song revolves around the singer's mother kissing and tickling Santa Claus, and how his dad wouldn't have enjoyed it. In fact, the little boy even threatens to rat on Santa because he knows this is wrong. It is literally a song about a little boy's mom having an affair with Santa. There's just something off about this...

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer- Another one that is somewhat disturbing. Grandma got turnt, skipped out on her meds, and then her family allows her to leave the house. If Grandma is in such an advanced state that her medications are that important, why did her family let her get drunk, and then allow her to leave on her own?! Once walking about the blustery outdoors on Christmas Eve (still drunk and off her drugs), Grandma is then killed when Santa hits her with his sleigh. They didn't even check to see if she made it home, as they found her Christmas morning. Her lifeless corpse was left uncared for all night. Did no one think to check on an intoxicated old lady? What the what? The rest of the song then proceeds to be about Grandpa's coping mechanisms about his wife's death. We sing this song with smiles on our faces and hearts without a care.

Up On the Housetop- Two things: A) this song is annoying and B) I don't get the lyric "Ho ho ho, who wouldn't go?" Who wouldn't go where? The housetop? I wouldn't! I'm terrified of heights, and I don't know why we're encouraging children to be up on a housetop, particularly if there are hoofed creatures about up there. 

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer- Everyone that knows me knows that the claymation movie about Rudolph is my favorite Christmas movie, and there's a reason: it is amazingly NOT PC. Seriously. An island of toys known as misfits? Outcast elves who wish to advance their education? Banning a child from sports for a physical deformity? So. Many. Hilarious. Things. The song also has this not-politically correct theme, as it pretty much tells the same story. It's a song all about a freak that doesn't get to play reindeer games, but fortunately, since his deformity helps everyone out one time, he at least has a bit of redemption. I wonder if that one year was enough to heal the psychological wounds caused by years of Christmases past.

Hark the Herald Angels Sing- Perfect example of singing to/about baby Jesus. Glory to the King? Absolutely. But why do we join the angelic host as they proclaim the newborn King? They proclaimed that 2,000 years ago. It's the equivalent of saying, "join with the town crier to proclaim George Washington the first president of the United States." It's a good thing, and I certainly am glad that Jesus was proclaimed by the angels upon His birth, but I'm not with them. I literally cannot proclaim with them, as they are no longer proclaiming that news. It's past tense now. I just don't understand.

So, that's my post for this week. I hope you enjoyed a change of pace from me this week, and have a great holiday time with your family. From the Freed Bug to you, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

PS: What Christmas songs have lyrics that bug you? I'd love to hear! Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment