Monday, January 30, 2012

God Ain't Gunna Ditch You


Well, I made it. 100 posts. I spent some time pondering,

"What should I put for my 100th post? What would be different enough to make this post stand out?"

Then it hit me: video post.

So I practiced with the webcam on my computer for a minute to see how this would look. The verdict: not good. So I scrapped the vlog idea.

In the end, I decided that the best thing to do would be to write whatever is on my heart. A friend of mine just called me, telling me that her grandmother was very ill and may be headed to see Him soon. I looked up some verses to comfort her, and it just clicked: a lot of people need these. I need these.

Joshua is one my favorite characters in the Bible, and his book is one of my favorite books, as well. The way he leads Israel with extreme, bold faith encourages me to do the same, and he is the kind of leader I want to be someday. Joshua is the model of a strong, God-fearing leader that conquered army after army, all the time boasting in God's strength and power. Yet, he wasn't always such a confident leader.

At the beginning of Joshua 1, we see a much different Joshua. Moses, the great leader that brought the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt and up to the edge of the Promised Land, was dead. And now, after all this time, Israel has a new leader. Can you imagine the pressure Joshua was under?! I mean, come on. Who on earth wants to be the guy that leads after MOSES? Talk about being hard to follow up on!

Yet, just as Joshua was as nervous as a cat above Niagara Falls, God steps in and smacks Josh upside the head with this,

"2 'Moses My servant is dead. Now you and all the people prepare to cross over the Jordan to the land I am giving the Israelites. 3 I have given you every place where the sole of your foot treads, just as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will be from the wilderness and Lebanon to the great Euphrates River—all the land of the Hittites—and west to the Mediterranean Sea. 5 No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. I will be with you, just as I was with Moses. I will not leave you or forsake you.
6 'Be strong and courageous, for you will distribute the land I swore to their fathers to give them as an inheritance. 7 Above all, be strong and very courageous to carefully observe the whole instruction My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or the left, so that you will have success wherever you go. 8 This book of instruction must not depart from your mouth; you are to recite it day and night so that you may carefully observe everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in whatever you do. 9 Haven’t I commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.'
" -Joshua 1:2-9, HCSB

WOW! Talk about a confidence booster! Just when Joshua was questioning his abilities and getting all scared, God tells him to be strong and be comforted, because God will not forsake him nor leave him. God was always with Joshua, and would never bail. And guess what?

He says the same to you.

We have the God of the universe, the sovereign Lord of all, the Creator of all, Judge of all, King of all... comforting us. Right now. His arms are wide open for us to run to and seek shelter from the world. He empowers us through His Spirit to overcome the obstacles in our lives. In fact, He commands us to be strong courageous, and not be afraid and discouraged. I mean, He's with us; what could stand against? (Romans 8:31)

Bullies at school? Nope.

Cancer? Nope.

Heartbreak? Nope.

Your past? Nope.

Death? Nope.

Nothing can hurt you. For as the apostle Paul says, "to live is Christ, and to die is gain (Philippians 1:21)." If we are alive, we have Him constantly guiding and protecting us, as our Shepherd. If we die, we are in His presence... forever.

For more on comfort, go to:

Psalm 23
Psalm 71:5
Micah 7:7
John 14:27
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

1 comment: