Monday, January 24, 2011

Country of Day: Dominica


Hello friends. It's been awhile, and I have been quite busy! So the new new new plan for country posts is... I'll do it when I can. I hate that I won't be able to write on every country I pray for (I am continuing to pray for a different nation every day). Thus, when I post, I'll start by saying who isn't getting a profile, then continue to the day's country. If only I had more time!

Thursday: Cyprus
Friday: Czech Republic
Saturday: Denmark
Sunday: Djibouti

Today, we are looking at Dominica (not the same as the Dominican Republic, which is tomorrow). Dominica is a tiny island next to Puerto Rico in the eastern part of the Caribbean.

As it is a very small island, it has a very small population: 72,813. This is less than half of my hometown (Lexington, Kentucky). There are no reported health concerns, which isn't shocking. I mean, most island nations avoid health concerns, as far as I have observed on my posts. The nation relies heavily on tourism and bananas, both of which have struggled a bit from the sagging global economy. However, there is still just 30% of the population below the poverty line, which is high, except in comparison to some other countries we have looked at. Their unemployment rate is at 23%.

Spiritually, and predictably, 89.7% of Dominica is considered Christian. Most Caribbean islands that Spain colonized look the same. This is promising; the 6.1% of non-religious people is not. The 1.2% Jehovah's Witnesses, the 1.3% Rastafarians, the 1.6% unspecified are not.

Father, we thank you for the beautiful landscape you gave the people of Dominica. We thank you for their health and semi-stable economy. We ask for movement. A movement that is guided by You and Your Spirit that starts in Dominica, reaches everyone there, and then explodes through the Earth. We pray for the lost of Dominica, that they open their eyes and ears and hearts to You, and accept the gift of eternal life they are ring offered. In Your Name, amen.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment