Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Passion Blog: Do You Have a Stew?


This morning's main session was great, as everything here in Atlanta has been this weekend. The speaker was Andy Stanley, a life-long friend of Louie Giglio (the first night speaker/founder of Passion).

Andy focused on the story we find in Genesis 25:17-34, as we see Esau selling his birthright (inheritance+power+blessing) for stew. In retrospect, we see this as a major blunder, which is true, except that we say we'd never do the same.

Andy pointed out that we don't know what God has planned for our life, but a lot of determining if we accomplish it has to do with managing our appetites. I know what you just thought about: food. But there are other appetizing desires: progress, responsibility, respect,winning, love, acceptance, fame, recognition, things, and to be envied. All of these things, as God made them, are perfectly fine. Ok, so I'm not sure desiring others to envy is fine, but the others are all clear. By managing our appetites, we can stay focused on what matters: God.

You see, nothing can fill an appetite. I don't care if it's recognition, sex or actually food; you'll never find enough to quench that appetite. That is, you'll never find anything of the Earth that will be enough. Luckily, we have God to fill our appetites. God is the only one who can fulfill an appetite completely, because He is so great and huge that HE is the only thing big enough. The question is: what is your stew? Esau gave up his future, God's plan, for a bowl of food. What is keeping you from following God correctly?

I will update on the talks by John Piper and Gabe Lyons tomorrow morning because, honestly, I am exhausted. Goodnight world!

2 comments:

  1. My stew is control, not having the reins. We talked about this a couple of weeks ago at church. I can't let go of things very easy, or without a fight, I should say. The best thing I'd heard in awhile was "Let go, and let God." I need to adhere to that more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I feel that, sister. I feel like we probably all struggle with that some! Keep strong and hang in there. Great line: "Let go, and let God." I may use that! :)

    ReplyDelete