Friday, January 7, 2011

A New Year, and a New Focus


Hello! It's been a couple of days since I posted, and there's a myriad of reasons, one of which being that I was exhausted. Passion 2011 was crazy, in every sense of the word. I learned so much, I don't even know where to begin. More than anything, though, was the lesson I learned from Francis Chan about living life in a manner worthy of the Gospel.

Obviously, as humans, we cannot live up to the Gospel. However, this verse, accompanied by his message, really hit home with me and challenged me. I have lost friends all around that I am not reaching, and odds on, so do you. We must do better. We must live according to the Gospel, and the Gospel tels us to take His Word to the nations.

Louie Giglio, in the last main session of the conference, reminded us not to be annoying, though. While we strive to be filled with the Spirit, and to do the works of God, we must remember that actions speak louder than words. You can spit verses and church invites out of your mouth all day, but without acting on what you say, it is meaningless. James 2:14 says,

"14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith, but does not have works?" -James 2:14, HCSB

This is my challenge to all believers: live out your faith. I know it's hard; I struggle with it as much as anyone. But screaming out the dangers of God's wrath every five seconds will not show the Truth of the Gospel nearly as accurately as showing love and compassion towards others.

I have learned this lesson since I returned home from Atlanta, as I was convicted for some of my actions toward other people. I wasn't showing them the love of Christ; I was acting out of love for myself. Now, more than anything else, my focus is to love everyone in the way that Christ would want me to love them. It will be hard; this is a very self-focusing society that we live in. But here's the facts: God loves everyone. Yes, even that weirdo down the street. That showoff in class? Yes sir.

"16 For God so loved the world..." -John 3:16a, HCSB

That's pretty clear to me. Let's all just love each other. If you are faithful to the Spirit, opportunities to share your faith will arise.

Pray. Read Scripture. Pray. Praise God. Pray. Show love. Pray.

I believe that if we do those things right there, the Gospel will spread like a wildfire. People are hurting everywhere. Let's be a shoulder to cry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment