Monday, January 3, 2011

Passion Blog: Are You Balanced?


Tonight's main session featured great music by Chris Tomlin and Charlie Hall, but that was nothing to the lesson by Francis Chan. Allow me to jump right in.

"27 Just one thing: live your life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." -Philippians 1:27, HCSB

This is the verse that Francis spent the most time focused on. He had an old time scale, like that you weigh what he guessed was gold or barley on, to demonstrate. We are supposed to live our lives in accordance with the Gospel of Christ, so that our lives are balanced with the words in the Bible. Yet, this so rarely happens.

Francis told about students in China that are having church in hiding, because it is illegal there. When Francis told them about how Americans pick and choose churches based on who is speaking, what kind of music is played, or what kind of programs that church offers, the Chinese laughed. They literally burst out in laughter. You see, in a country where the punishment for loving God is death, these are petty, unimportant things. Yet, in the States, we are afraid we may lose a few friends for the Word of God. We may not get to go to a party. We may, heaven forbid, be laughed at.

I don't know about you, but the idea of having to have a life that is "worthy" of the Gospel is a terribly convicting passage. Francis asked the question: "If you believe in Hell, why aren't you trying as hard as possible to keep people from it?" This really struck me.

I immediately thought of my co-workers at Kroger and all the lost people around me in my life. I've been working at Kroger for almost 3.5 years, and really haven't shared with people the Gospel, the Truth of Jesus. What a waste of time! What have I been doing?! Do I not realize that these people's eternity is at stake?!

If you're like me, this is a hard thing to swallow, and one that must be corrected. We cannot sit back any longer; we don't know how much longer the lost may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment